Life Sentence

Random thoughts about publishing, stamp collecting, politics, popular music of the 60s and 70s, mooses, and my motley other obsessions.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Randy Scouse Git

I was driving the kids somewhere or other this afternoon, and had a Rhino anthology of Monkees music playing. Track 11 came on. I was kind of enjoying it, trying to remember what the song is called.

"I like that, Daddy. What's it called?"

I check the CD case. "Randy Scouse Git."

"What does that mean, Daddy?"

Urgh. I'm an editor. I'm supposed to know what words mean. I admitted I didn't know. The song's lyrics give no clues at all.

So here it is, late at night. The question is still bugging me. So I google it and find The Monkees Music Vault, which has a sort of vague answer, as well as the lyrics to the song. Some more digging gave more details. Randy of course means horny. A Scouse is someone from Liverpool. And a git, in 1960s slang, is an idiot.

I may not be able to get the song out of my head for a week or so. The damned thing is catchy!

6 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, May 01, 2005, Anonymous Lloyd Davis said...

IIRC, Dolenz cribbed "randy scouse git" from the UK television series "Till Death Us Do Part," which was the basis for Norman Lear's "All in the Family."

Recall that Archie Bunker's name for Mike Stivic was Meathead. In the British version, Archie's counterpart was named Alf Garnett. Not sure about Mike's surname in the UK series, but he was a Liverpudlian (hence Scouse).

In Britain, the Monkees song was released as a single, but was renamed "Alternate Title" by the local RCA Victor execs., ostensibly to ensure the BBC wouldn't ban it.

 
At 9:58 PM, May 01, 2005, Blogger Greg said...

Now you've got me thinking about the stupid song! OK, so Dolenz went to a party where he met one or more of the Beatles, and his artistic response to this was to write a song with a title that means "Horny Liverpool Idiot."

I was trying to think about which Beatle was likely to have inspired the song. Logic and textual analysis on the lyrics were getting me nowhere. Then I realized that it sounds like a John Lennon song. Duh!

 
At 4:53 PM, December 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The randy scouse git is none other than Tony Blair's father in law

 
At 4:54 PM, December 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention his real name, Tony Booth

 
At 5:41 PM, December 04, 2005, Blogger Greg said...

Neat -- thanks! Can you tell me the story of how the song came to be written about him?

 
At 8:58 PM, February 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am listening to this now it is catchy. Thanks for clearing up the title btw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home