Life Sentence

Random thoughts about publishing, stamp collecting, politics, popular music of the 60s and 70s, mooses, and my motley other obsessions.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Mil Lel squared circles

These two postcards from Mil Lel puzzled me for a few minutes. The postmark is only recorded from 1899 to 1902. But the 1d red perf 12 x 11.5 was issued in February 1904, so these had to be later than that. I couldn't quite make out the date on either cancel until I noticed the odd "1909/1910" notation at the bottom of one card. That was the clue I needed: the cancels are both dated JA 1/10 (January 1, 1910) -- by far the latest recorded date for these.

The cards are neat -- both show pictures of the main street of Mt Gambier, one looking east and the other looking west, mailed by the same person to the same recipient at the same time. Mil Lel was a satellite post office outside of Mt Gambier. There was a bicycle mail service between the two towns.

My best eBay find in quite a while!