Life Sentence

Random thoughts about publishing, stamp collecting, politics, popular music of the 60s and 70s, mooses, and my motley other obsessions.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Seen yesterday

Yesterday morning I was driving east on Harbord near Bathurst. A 40ish man in a motorized wheelchair was on the sidewalk on the south side of the street. He turned the wheelchair to face a crosswalk, and then backed it up for some reason -- right into a ditch.

I slowed the car, intending to help him. Before I could act, he hopped off the wheelchair and down into the ditch, lifted the heavy wheelchair out of the ditch (something I wasn't sure I was strong enough to do myself), then walked briskly around it to inspect for damage. Satisfied that the wheelchair was OK, he got back into it and went on his way.

I'm still a tad perplexed.

4 Comments:

At 11:36 PM, October 25, 2005, Blogger Lori said...

Brilliant. I would love to know the story behind that. Undercover agent? Official wheelchair tester for Consumer Reports? One of those crazies getting ready to undergo elective amputation? Scam artist? Or just the latest yuppie craze in perpetual laziness?

 
At 12:01 AM, October 26, 2005, Blogger Greg said...

Nice to see you here, Lori. I still check your blog from time to time, even if I don't often comment. Sorry if some of this one is often pretty boring for you!

Good guesses. I really have no idea what the guy was doing. One of those episodes that just leaves you shaking your head in puzzlement.

 
At 4:23 AM, November 15, 2005, Anonymous guile said...

nice, cozy place you got here :)..

 
At 10:38 AM, November 15, 2005, Blogger Greg said...

Cosy? I guess so. The place is a bit neglected at the moment. I really need to dust it off a bit. I keep thinking of things I want to blog, but only ever at times I'm not near a computer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home